Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hawai'i really is Paradise

Brian took me to Hawaii for our 10th anniversary (which is not until January '10, but who wants to go during hurricane season?). It truly is a piece of heaven on earth, and we had a huge amount of fun.

I think I'll post just one day of our happy week in Hawaii at a time. Here is day #1:

Saturday morning: Kissed our sleepy munchkins goodbye in their beds and left little gifts for them to open for when they miss us.

The flight was long and boring, but aren't they all. We finally landed at about 1pm, got a taxi (big mistake) and checked in our tiny hotel room. I would post a picture of the room, but we didn't feel like it was worth taking at the time. Here is a photo of the view we have from our lanai:


After we dumped our stuff we ran out as fast as we could to the beach (stupidly we didn't change into our swim suits first, I can't remember what we were thinking).


Here is our very first picture on the beach:




Later we changed into our suits, slathered ourselves with sunscreen, and went swimming. The beach was beautiful. I was a little surprised by how thin and long the beach was. I guess I thought it was going to be a huge fat beach with lots of people crowding it. Actually there were a lot of people, but not so many that it was uncomfortable. I was also surprised to see all the different body types at the beach. Brian and I spent a good amount of time "dieting and working out" (you won't be able to tell from any of my pictures) just so we can look ok in swim suits, but there were many "larger" bodies that seemed just as comfortable in teeny bikinis as the slim ones. Which is great, helped me to be less self-conscious at least.


I loved how warm the water was, you can walk right in with only the slightest twinge of coldness before becoming totally acclimated. It was also fabulous (of course) to lay out on the beach after getting out of the water. The sun was indulgent and if it weren't for the fact that I am a shining whitey I would have spent the entire 6 days laying out. As it was we did spend a little too much time in the sun, but I'll write about that later.

After our beach bumming we went back to the hotel and ordered pizza, which took a while to get there and we were STARVING, but it tasted good after such a long day. I passed out right after we were done eating pizza on our super comfortable bed. Brian went exploring again and got some good pics of Waikiki at night and a hula show:




In the mean-time, while we were on our way to Hawaii, Kael and Kiera were happily on their way to Lake Oswego in Oregon to visit good friends of my family. Ravae and Mom have been best friends since they were in high school. Her family just built a gorgeous home on the lake and Mom and Dad were lucky enough to go down and have a quick visit.

Kael and Kiera loved it. They played at the park, rode on the boat twice, ate ice-cream and had so much fun. Kael talked and talked about the train track they made and "VaRae's" really fun house. All I have to say is they aren’t leaving me behind next time they get to play at Vae’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment